Wednesday, September 2, 2009

In the Middle of Nowhere - Ontario

After two days of driving I have arrived in the middle of nowhere in northern Ontario. To be specific, I have arrived in Kirkland Lakes - about 50 km west of the Ontario-Quebec border. Yesterday I had the privilege of entering a new province; today, however, I was not awarded that luxury! It amazes me how long it takes to drive through Ontario.


I departed Thunder Bay this morning only to encounter a multi-vehicle accident on the highway. The GPS navigator provided me an alternative route through Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and eventually back to the highway. Although the GPS navigator was quick to produce an alternative route, I was a little slower in granting it my confidence. Without a hiccup I was back on the highway and driving through northern Ontario. Amenities dropped liked rocks in water as distance from Thunder Bay grew. An hour outside Thunder Bay I lost cell phone reception and after two hours I was without any radio signals. While on the Greenbelt Highway a good 2.5 hours passed without seeing any vehicles or wildlife (not disappointed in missing the last).

Tomorrow will be a 800 km drive through northwestern Quebec with the ultimate destination of Montreal. If all goes as planned I will have a few days to kick back and relax in Montreal before departing for the East Coast.

0 comments: