Saturday, July 4, 2009

Slight Mid-Air Emergency Delay (not for or caused by me) but in Toronto

Almost 30 hours since I boarded my first plane in Johannesburg, South Africa yesterday and I am now back on Canadian soil in Toronto. The first segment of my return from South Africa to Germany was uneventful - which considering the recent aviation events is not a bad thing. The second leg of the journey home (Germany - Toronto) got a bit interesting.

Three hours into the Frankfurt - Toronto flight a frantic announcement requesting a medical doctor on board to identify them self to a crew member. The older gentlemen sitting across the aisle from me eventually identified himself as a doctor and was rushed to somewhere in the back of the aircraft (not sure where exactly as I received an upgrade to executive class where you cant see any of the economy people). After a lot of excitement and increased blood pressure for the in-flight staff the situation seemed to loose urgency. Eventually the doctor returned to his seat with a slightly disgusted look on his face as apparently the event was nothing too major. A women had passed out when she got up to go to the washroom which was the catalyst for hysteria. When the women came to she was quite worked up and was demanded to go to the nearest hospital for treatment - I am not sure she necessarily recalled that we were 39,000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean.

When we arrived in Toronto the plane was met by full paramedic and emergency service personnel. All passengers had to wait on the plane until the women was carried out on a stretcher by paramedics. As a result, I missed my connecting plane to Winnipeg. Fortunately, I received a seat on the next flight out to Winnipeg this afternoon without any delays. By late this evening I should (pending any other delays) be back in Brandon.

0 comments: