Friday, July 3, 2009

Not a Real Trip without a Robbery

When I arrived yesterday in Johannesburg I was not joined by luggage. Apparently, it decided to spend an extra night in Mozambique. Although an inconvenience it was fairly minor as I am on the final days of my adventure. My luggage would follow on the next flight and be delivered to my hostel late that evening. I was skeptical of the evening delivery however my luggage did appear - or part of my luggage.

Somewhere between checking my luggage in Maputo and its delivery to the hostel my possessions were informally re-distributed to new owners. How convenient. After the thieves broke the lock on my bag (which they kindly placed inside my bag) they proceeded rumage around my bag and steal five items: winter jacket, shoes, flashlight, hat, and sandals. Thankfully this occurred near the end of my trip and not the beginning. I spent much of this afternoon filling out airline re-imbursement forms and police reports. The odds of being adequately compensated would appear to be slim, however, I would welcome the surprise.

No adventure would be complete without one robbery!

0 comments: