Thursday, June 18, 2009

Victoria Falls

The primary reason for journeying to Livingstone, Zambia was to see Victoria Falls. One of the seven wonders of the world I wanted to witness the world's largest water falls. Based on conversations with other travellers I arranged to have a tour of the island that sits on the edge of the falls at the crack of dawn. At 6 AM I hailed a taxi to the departure point on the Zambezi River, not aware the tour departed from the Royal Livinstone Hotel (5* hotel averaging around uS$500 per night). Needless to say I was slightly under dressed for the hotel! The island tour provided a hike around the island, a bit of history, and allowed everyone to get close to to the edge of the falls. At the end of the tour each participant was invited to wade through the rushing water and hike out onto the edge. I was the only person in my group up for the challenge. After removing my socks, hiking shoes, and pulling up my pants I waded into the warm rushing water heading out to the edge of the falls with one of the guides. The view from the edge was amazing and humbling to watch all the water rush by and crash hundreds of feet below. At the edge it resembled standing in a shower - the mist from the water falls came down in sheets.

0 comments: