Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Winter Home

After a 4:30 AM waking call, a brief buffet breakfast, and a 2.5 hour flight I arrived in at my final warm destination. For the next 8 days, I will forego hanging my hat in snowy, cold Brandon for warm, sunny Weslaco, Texas.

Weslaco is a small city of approximately 30,000 people 7 miles north of the Texas - Mexico border. Known as the Citrius Capital of Texas, the streets are lined with various fruit trees of organes, grapefruit, and lemons. The city populations includes a significant number of "winter Texans" or snowbirds. The snowbirds come from across Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario) and the northern United States (Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Idaho). At first glance on the city map I counted 27 'snowbird parks' - small communities of 500-750 people who reside in the community from December - April annually.

Anything you could possible need (or dont need) is available in Weslaco or one of its neighbour cities of Mercedes, La Feria, McAllen, or Donna. There are huge multi-national box stores open 24 hours, ma and pa stores, and roadside food stalls. I can admit to only visiting one store and one food outlet since my arrival, but will most likely visit a few more!

I have no idea what the plan for the remainder of my travels. Something that will need to be determined in due time (mostly likely over coffee and breakfast). I will keep you posted.

0 comments: